Among 100 top influencers in health care, physician leaders shine
Politicians and federal agency heads weren’t the only ones voted into the newly released 2014 100 most influential people in American health care by Modern Healthcare. AMA President Robert M. Wah, MD, and AMA CEO and Executive Vice President James L. Madara, MD, were named to the list, alongside 17 other AMA members.
These physician leaders joined such notables as Marilyn Tavenner, administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Thomas Frieden, MD, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Karen DeSalvo, MD, national coordinator for health information technology. The honorees were nominated by their peers and voted on by both readers and senior editors of the publication.
AMA members among the 100 most influential people in American health care include (in alphabetical order by last name):
- Georges Benjamin, MD, executive director, American Public Health Association
- Mark Chassin, MD, president and CEO, the Joint Commission
- Carolyn Clancy, MD, assistant deputy under secretary for health, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Francis Collins, MD, PhD, director, National Institutes of Health
- Patrick Conway, MD, deputy administrator for innovation and quality, CMS
- Toby Cosgrove, MD, president and CEO, Cleveland Clinic
- Tejal Gandhi, MD, president, National Patient Safety Foundation
- Darrell Kirch, MD, president and CEO, Association of American Medical Colleges
- Gary Kaplan, MD, chairman and CEO, Virginia Mason Hospital and Medical Center
- John Noseworthy, MD, president and CEO, Mayo Clinic
- Jonathan Perlin, MD, PhD, president of clinical services and CMO, HCA Healthcare
- Peter Pronovost, MD, PhD, senior vice president for patient safety, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Charles Sorenson, MD, president and CEO, Intermountain Healthcare
- Glen Steele Jr., MD, PhD, president and CEO, Geisinger Health System
- Andrew Sussman, MD, president, CVS MinuteClinic
- Susan Turney, MD, CEO, Marshfield Clinic
- Robert Wachter, MD, chief of hospital medicine, University of California San Francisco Medical Center
Earlier this year, Dr. Wah and 20 other AMA members also were recognized by Modern Healthcare and Modern Physician magazines among the nation’s 50 most influential physician executives in health care for 2014.